Monkey Island + Sloth Sanctuary tour
Get up close and personal with four different species of monkeys -the Mantled Howler Monkey, the White-Faced Capuchin Monkey, Geoffroy’s Tamarin Monkey, and the Lemurine Owl Monkey - as they climb on you and snatch food. Discover many other wild animals including crocodiles, toucans, sloths, iguanas, turtles, and numerous exotic birds.
We will also visit a sloth sanctuary, where you can observe these intriguing creatures in their natural habitat.
At 8:00 am, your personal guide and driver will meet you at your Panama City lodging. As you commence the 40 minute drive, you will have the chance to see the old, colonial American neighborhoods, which served as homes for the Canal construction families and we will pass the famous Culebra Cut. As we arrive at the shores of Lake Gatun you will be greeted by the dense rainforest and all its intriguing sights and sounds.
We will embark with our boat into the Chagres River, which will lead us into the artificially created Gatun lake, which is a hotspot for biodiversity, giving you the chance to spot wildlife such as the coati, howler monkeys, squirrels and sloths, as well as beautiful birds like the toucan and parrots. Our path takes us mostly parallel to the Canal and into Soberanía National Park on our way to the Gamboa Public Docks, where the Chagres River meets the Panama Canal. A couple of minutes into the boat ride, we enter the Canal and take a quick ride past the Dredging Division's facilities and along the shipping lane (and past a large ship or three) toward the Monkey Island area. Needless to say, thanks to Panama’s abundant biodiversity, a bit of luck, and your boat captains’ uncannily sharp eyes will give you plenty more to look for, so keep that camera handy at all times
As we land on the Monkey Island, listen for the different primate sounds and the rustling in the trees as monkeys jump amongst the branches. Prepare for monkeys to come up to you and inspect your clothes, hats and bags. Being surrounded by these magnificent creatures will be an unforgettable experience and give you many photo opportunities.
Next up we stop by the Sloth Sanctuary, where we can observe the three-toed and two-toed sloths that have been rescued. We will learn about their life and unique habits and about the efforts that are taken to preserve these amazing animals.
On our last stop we visit the Butterfly House where we will observe the endemic butterflies that live in the Panamanian rainforest such as the colorful Blue Morpho Butterfly. We will also visit the orchid and frog exhibitions.
At 1pm, we start to make our way back to our tour starting point and back to Panama City.
- Private Tour (minimum 2 guests)
- Price - $109 per person
- Duration - 5 hours
- Start time - 8:00 am - daily
- Pick-up and drop off at your Panama City lodging
- Well-maintained, air-conditioned car
- Bi-lingual guides (English/Spanish)
- Private Tour to Monkey Island, Sloth Sanctuary, Butterfly house and Orchid & Frog exhibition
- Boat Tour
- Island entrance fees
- Entrance to the Sloth Sanctuary, Butterfly House and, Orchids and Frog exhibitions.
- Water Bottles
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable and adequate clothing to protect yourself from the sun and thus avoid the use of sunscreen. Creams (even biodegradable ones) are polluting and for that reason we do not promote their use
- Comfortable and safe footwear (sandals or water shoes)
- Sun glasses
- Cap or hat
- A reusable bottle to fill with water during the day
- Cash for tips and souvenirs
- There are no ATMs in the area, vendors do not accept card payments either. Cash Only!
- It is customary to tip guides and field equipment as a thank you for excellent service