We are sorry, this tour is not available to book at the moment
Punta Laguna Nature Reserve, Cenote & Cobá – Mayan Culture
The Maya people were spread out over a region of over 500 thousand square kilometers, covering the present-day Mexican states of Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Tabasco, Chiapas and Campeche, and the Central American countries of Guatemala, Belize, the western portion of El Salvador and Honduras. Their origins date back over 5000 years, or perhaps further, although the first recorded settlements are more recent, as in Guatemala, around 2500 B.C. or in Yucatan, dating from 1600 B.C.
The Maya culture left an enormous cultural imprint, with their unique architecture, their design of jewelry and ceramics, their development of an advanced written language, and an amazing knowledge of mathematics and astronomy, more advanced than that of European civilization at the time.
Even though the Maya culture remains present in the Riviera Maya, through the many indigenous communities still found here which preserve the traditions, religion and social structure of the Maya people, the splendor of ancient Maya civilization is most evident in the numerous archaeological sites in this area. It is through the pyramids, "pelota " ( ball ) playing fields, sculpted stone pillars, plazas and temples that some of the mysteries still surrounding one of America's most important cultures have been partially deciphered.
TOUR OVERVIEW - Punta Laguna Nature Reserve, Cenote & Cobá
THIS TOUR HAS IT ALL! Culture, Nature & Excitement… This is the perfect excursion for those who want to experience and learn about the current Mayan culture and its colorful past. Enjoy the nature of the Yucatan Peninsula in a day full of activities, such as bicycling, canoe riding, zip lining and hiking. Ideal for the whole family.
1) NATURAL RESERVE IN PUNTA LAGUNA NATURE RESERVE
Located about 40 miles north of Tulum, Punta Laguna Nature Reserve offers one of the most unique sightseeing attractions in all of the Yucatán: spider monkeys. The creatures are a top draw for the reserve, which also showcases jaguars, pumas, howler monkeys, ocelot, white-tailed deer, red deer, agouti and more than 300 species of birds. The unique eco system in this area is characterized by lagoons, a Cenote of particular interest for sub-aquatic archeology, a sub evergreen forest and an extraordinary biodiversity of flora (more than 300 species) and fauna.
Experience this amazing region with us with all your senses! We will cross a stretch of the lagoon on a zip line and canoe and hike around the lagoon.
The nearby Mayan community of Punta Laguna, aware of the rapid development of tourism has opted to actively participate in eco-tourism by promoting low-impact activities that don’t interfere with the environment and culture. Stroll through the village and get a glimpse of indigenous Mexican lifestyle, where you can tour thatched roof houses and watch people cook over open fires.
2) CENOTE ESMERALDA
We will swim in a semi-open Cenote where natural sun rays radiate off the walls, allowing us to admire the various beautiful colors reflecting off the crystalline water.
3) LUNCH IN THE MAYAN COMMUNITY OF NUEVO DURANGO
We will stop in the community of Nuevo Durango where we meet Don Manuel and his beautiful family serving us a delicious and traditional meal in their home. Not only do we enjoy an amazing meal but also contribute to Don Manuel's efforts to achieve self-sufficiency and take care of his culture and environment. Don Manuel has a special permit that allows him to raise animals on his land such as the white-tailed deer and the endangered birds such as the snout and the endemic ocellated turkey. After raising these amazing animals he releases and repopulates these species in their natural habitat.
4) ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF COBÁ
Cobá means ‘waters stirred by the wind’, a fitting Mayan name as this settlement is surrounded by two large lagoons. For many years Cobá was a forgotten piece of Mayan history due to its remoteness. Located between Tulum in the state of Quintana Roo, and Valladolid in the state of Yucatan, archeologists first found out about this site in the mid 1800’s, but dense jungle, the Caste War and lack of funds made this site a difficult area to explore. This Mayan site is still largely un-excavated making it a true wonder in the Yucatan. Visitors can enjoy shaded walkways that are the original sacbe (white roads), three settlements that show the architecture and vast area of this once large city, 2 ball courts and climb the highest Mayan pyramid in the Yucatan, Nohoch Mul.
On our tour we will explore this ancient city on a bicycle along beautiful paths under the shade of the majestic trees. For those who feel up for it, we can climb one of the largest temples in the area to admire the surrounding landscape of a great city that is now covered by the jungle (NOTE: DUE TO CURRENT COVID RESTRICTIONS, CLIMBING THE PYRAMID IS NOT PERMITTED AT THIS TIME).
TOUR SUMMARY - Punta Laguna Nature Reserve, Cenote & Cobá
- Price - $155 per person (Small Group Tour)
- Price - Additional +$235 (Private Tour)
- Price - Additional +$85 (Private Tour with own transportation)
- Duration - 9 hours
- Only Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Other dates, please inquire (Small Group Tour). Any day (Private Tour)
- Start time - 8:00am - 8:30am
- Visit the archeological site of Cobá (guided tour of history, travel on bicycle, view from the top of the Nohoch Mul temple)
- Refreshing swim in Cenote Esmeralda
- Delicious Lunch at the house of Don Manuel
- Visit of the Punta Laguna Natural Reserve (walk in search of monkeys, canoe, zip line, Mayan ceremony and swim in Cenote)
- Excursion finishes between 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM
- Air-conditioned transportation (Hotel Pick up in Tulum Area. Outside of Tulum, there will be an Extra Fee depending on location)
- Water, fruit and snack
- Professional guide (English/Spanish)
- All activities and entrance fees
- All the necessary equipment for the activities (binoculars are not included)
- Bicycle in Cobá
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable and adequate clothing to protect yourself from the sun and thus avoid the use of sunscreen. Creams (even biodegradable ones) are polluting and for that reason we do not promote their use
- Comfortable and safe footwear for walking in the jungle
- Sun glasses
- Cap or hat
- A reusable bottle to fill with water during the day
- Cash for tips and souvenirs
- There are no ATMs in the area, vendors do not accept card payments either. Cash Only!
- It is customary to tip guides and field equipment as a thank you for excellent service
Please read our Tour Cancelation Policy before booking our tours.
TOUR CANCELATION POLICY
Tao Travel 365 strives to deliver the best possible customer experience. If at any point you have a question or concern about our service, please call us by phone at +1 (805) 826-3657 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following cancellation policy applies only for Day Tours (DOES NOT apply for Multi-Day Tours).
Due to the nature of our business, the logistics involved with organizing tours and the high reservation demand following refund policies apply:
- 100% refund less credit card processing fees will only be granted if booked via our website www.taotravel365.tours AND if canceled more than 7 days before the start of the tour.
- 50% refund less credit card processing fees will be granted for cancellations received less than 7 days AND more than 48 hours before the tour start date.
- No refund will be granted for cancelations received less than 48 hours before the tour start date.
All sales are ﬁnal.
For all bookings made via outside portals such as, but not limited to Viator, Expedia, Airbnb, please refer and adhere to the respective cancellation policy of the portal that you booked with.
If you are unable to realize the reservation, contact us as soon as possible and we will try to arrange and reschedule the same or different tour for you.
If you are not at the designated meeting point by the time of your scheduled reservation or pick up, Tao Travel 365 reserves the right not to provide a refund. However, we will always try our best to locate you at the meeting point and call your WhatsApp number, if one was provided. After all, we want you to participate in our tour and have fun. That is our goal!
CANCELED OR POSTPONED TOURS
Occasionally, tours are canceled or postponed due to weather or ocean conditions, mechanical failure, or other unforeseen events. Should this occur, we will attempt to contact you about the cancellations and to inform you of refund or exchange procedures for that tour. For exact instructions on any canceled or postponed tour, please contact us. In the case of a cancellation of your tour by Tao Travel 365, we will refund your tour or schedule you for another tour, as detailed below.
All sales are final. No refunds are available unless a tour is canceled or postponed, or we are given 48 hours advance noticed whereby a 50 percent refund will be awarded. We will offer refunds of the full face value of the tour(s) that are canceled or postponed (or, if a discounted tour, then instead the discounted tour price paid). No refunds are offered on any service, payment processing or convenience fees. To receive a refund for a canceled or postponed tour, contact us at email@example.com within 3 days of the tour cancellation and write "refund" in the subject line. Instructions will be provided in order to obtain your refund.
No tour exchanges are offered by Tao Travel 365. While in some extreme cases we may offer this service (such as a cancellation by Tao Travel 365), it is not guaranteed and often impossible. Contact us directly by phone at +1 (805) 826-3657 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about tour exchanges. Fees may apply.