We are sorry, this tour is not available to book at the moment
Rainbow Mountain Hike & Red Valley Tour
Also known as Vinicunca, the Rainbow Mountain is a viral hit with travelers thanks to the photogenic nature of its mineral stripes. Getting there requires good physical fitness and proper acclimatization. The 10km round-trip to a high viewpoint facing the mountain is gentle in grade but the high altitude (reaching above 17,000 or so feet) is a daunting adventure, but seeing Rainbow Mountain in person makes the hard work and lack of oxygen worth it.
We will pick you up for the Rainbow Mountain hike at 4:00 – 4:30 am from any hotel, Airbnb, or hostel in Cusco. It will be a 2½ hour drive to the trailhead – we will arrive at around 7 am. Here at the trailhead, our chef will prepare a delicious breakfast, including coffee, hot chocolate, teas, bread, fruit salad, eggs, and hot drinks. Cusco’s elevation is at 11,300ft, and the trailhead called Phulawasipata is at 14,300ft.
Cusco’s weather is usually quite cold, and the trailhead is even colder, so early in the morning. Be sure to bring a warm jacket, scarf, hat, and gloves.
After breakfast, we’ll hike about 2 hours uphill to the Rainbow Mountain Range. At a slower pace, it could be 2¾ hours, or if you are really fit quick and acclimatized well, some people can do in 1½ hours. The hike up includes some short breaks where the guide will explain some important information about the mountains and the geography of the area. Perhaps you’ll have a chance to catch sight of some of the locals, including llamas and alpacas that frequent this area.
The trail itself is quite wide and helpful for those with vertigo or fear of heights. The trek is best during the dry season as the trails are not paved. The trail can be a bit dusty, and in the rainy season, it can be slippery since it may be wet. However, with good waterproof hiking shoes and trekking poles, it will be just fine. This is your opportunity to see why Rainbow Mountain has become an Instagrammers delight.
Upon your arrival at the top of Rainbow Mountain, around 9:00-10:00 am, you will have about 1 hour to explore the spectacular views of the surrounding areas – valleys, mountains and to view the highest glacial mountain in Cusco – Ausangate, whose summit is at an elevation of 6,384m / 20,944ft, making it one of the tallest mountains in Peru.
After giving you a bit of time to take some treasured photos, your guide will tell you some intriguing facts about this fascinating place – like why the colors?! – and he will also share some detail about the Inkan history. A few last photos of this spectacular mountain and we will begin our descent. We do this a little differently than other groups. Instead of hiking the same route as they do, we hike to a lookout point to see the Red Valley and continue with our hike.
This valley is the icing on the cake, and many of our hikers say that it is even nicer than Rainbow Mountain! It is about 2½ hours mostly downhill from Rainbow Mountain, to the end of the trail, which is near where we started the hike. Here you will enjoy a fresh meal prepared by your chef, which includes cold drinks, appetizers, soup, and the main course.
After lunch, it will be another 2½ hour drive to Cusco, where we will drop you off at your hotel at around 5:30 – 6:00 pm.
- Price - $159 per person (On Voyager Train)
- Duration - 14 hours
- Available all week
- Start time: 4:00-4:30am
- Rainbow Mountain & Red Valley
- Return to Cusco by 5:30-6:00pm
- Guided tour of Rainbow Mountain & Red Valley
- Local English- or Spanish-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off. Note: Some hotels are in areas where the access by vehicle is not permitted. Send hotel details in order to arrange your pickup and drop-off in a nearby place if necessary.
- Fresh, hot Lunch
- Drinking Water
- Entrance fee into the park and the Red Valley
- Trekking poles
- Porters & Chef
- Dining tent with table & chairs
- Private toilet
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable and adequate clothing to protect yourself from the sun and thus avoid the use of sunscreen. Creams (even biodegradable ones) are polluting and for that reason we do not promote their use
- Comfortable shoes
- Small Backpack
- Jacket or rain coat
- Passport or Cedula
- Cap or hat
- A reusable bottle to fill with water during the day
- Don't forget to bring your smiles :)
- Confirmation will be received within 24 hours of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- IMPORTANT: All guest passport details are needed for the Machu Picchu Day Trip (Full name and Passport ID)
- Please provide all the passengers names, passport number, date of birth and nationality, otherwise the tour is not confirmed
- This excursion departs from your hotel in Cusco
- Travel date amendments are accepted 16 days before scheduled tour date
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most guests can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 guests
Please read our Tour Cancelation Policy before booking.
TOUR CANCELATION POLICY
Tao Travel 365 strives to deliver the best possible customer experience. If at any point you have a question or concern about our service, please call us by phone at +1 (805) 826-3657 or email us at email@example.com.
The following cancellation policy applies only for Day Tours (DOES NOT apply for Multi-Day Tours).
Due to the nature of our business, the logistics involved with organizing tours and the high reservation demand following refund policies apply:
- 100% refund less credit card processing fees will only be granted if booked via our website www.taotravel365.tours AND if canceled more than 7 days before the start of the tour.
- 50% refund less credit card processing fees will be granted for cancellations received less than 7 days AND more than 48 hours before the tour start date.
- No refund will be granted for cancelations received less than 48 hours before the tour start date.
All sales are ﬁnal.
For all bookings made via outside portals such as, but not limited to Viator, Expedia, Airbnb, please refer and adhere to the respective cancellation policy of the portal that you booked with.
If you are unable to realize the reservation, contact us as soon as possible and we will try to arrange and reschedule the same or different tour for you.
If you are not at the designated meeting point by the time of your scheduled reservation or pick up, Tao Travel 365 reserves the right not to provide a refund. However, we will always try our best to locate you at the meeting point and call your WhatsApp number, if one was provided. After all, we want you to participate in our tour and have fun. That is our goal!
CANCELED OR POSTPONED TOURS
Occasionally, tours are canceled or postponed due to weather or ocean conditions, mechanical failure, or other unforeseen events. Should this occur, we will attempt to contact you about the cancellations and to inform you of refund or exchange procedures for that tour. For exact instructions on any canceled or postponed tour, please contact us. In the case of a cancellation of your tour by Tao Travel 365, we will refund your tour or schedule you for another tour, as detailed below.
All sales are final. No refunds are available unless a tour is canceled or postponed, or we are given 48 hours advance noticed whereby a 50 percent refund will be awarded. We will offer refunds of the full face value of the tour(s) that are canceled or postponed (or, if a discounted tour, then instead the discounted tour price paid). No refunds are offered on any service, payment processing or convenience fees. To receive a refund for a canceled or postponed tour, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 days of the tour cancellation and write "refund" in the subject line. Instructions will be provided in order to obtain your refund.
No tour exchanges are offered by Tao Travel 365. While in some extreme cases we may offer this service (such as a cancellation by Tao Travel 365), it is not guaranteed and often impossible. Contact us directly by phone at +1 (805) 826-3657 or by email at email@example.com to inquire about tour exchanges. Fees may apply.