This tour requires minimum 2 Guests to operate. Solo travelers please inquire before booking.
We are sorry, this tour is not available to book at the moment
Embera Indian Village, Chagres River and Waterfall
If you're looking for a unique and authentic cultural experience in Panama, look no further than the Embera tribe. The Embera people are an indigenous group that live in the rainforests of Panama and Colombia. They have a rich cultural heritage and have managed to maintain their traditions and way of life despite modernization and outside influences.
Visiting the Embera tribe is an opportunity to learn about their customs, beliefs, and way of life, and to witness their traditional dances, music, and crafts. As a guest on a tour, you'll be welcomed into the tribe and given a firsthand look at their daily routines.
TOUR OVERVIEW - Embera Indian Village, Chagres River and Waterfall
At 8:00 am your friendly, bi-lingual guide will pick you up from your Panama City hotel. Sit back and relax in our comfortable, air-conditioned car while gazing at the various sites we will pass on our 40 minute drive to our tour starting point in the Chagres National Park. The Embera tribe lives in remote areas of the rainforest, and the only way to reach them is by boat. However, the journey is part of the adventure, and you'll get to see some of the stunning scenery that Panama has to offer.
The Boat Ride
At the port of the Chagres River, an Embera Indian will take you and your guide in a traditional boat called "piragua" on a 20 minute ride upstream to the Mono waterfall, where you can take a refreshing plunge (note: only available during the Dry season months from December through April. During the Wet Season months we may not be able to visit the waterfall due to strong currents). As you make your way through the rainforest, you'll be surrounded by lush greenery and the sounds of wildlife. The boat ride is a great opportunity to take in the sights and sounds of the jungle and to snap some incredible photos.
Meeting the Embera People
Once you arrive at the Embera village, you will meet the Parara Puru Embera Indian tribe that has managed to reject our modern, technological ways of life and maintained its simple traditions. Once you step off your boat, you will be greeted by the friendly and welcoming Embera people. They'll introduce themselves, and you'll have the chance to ask questions and learn about their way of life.
After our little hike and a delightful refreshing dip under the waterfall, we will continue to the Embera community.
The tour will take you through the village, where you'll get to see how the Embera people live, work, and play. You'll see how they build their homes, cook their food, and make their crafts. You'll also get to witness traditional dances and music performances.
One of the highlights of the tour is the chance to see the Embera people's intricate body art. The Embera people have a long tradition of using natural pigments to create intricate designs on their skin. You'll be able to see some of these designs up close and learn about the significance of each one. For a small fee, you can have the Embera design a body painting for you. The paint will be a temporary remembrance of your visit to the Embera tribe and will slowly fade away after a few days.
TOUR SUMMARY - Embera Indian Village, Chagres River and Waterfall
- Shared Tour
- Tour (minimum 2 guests)
- Price - $99 per adult, $95 per child (until age 10)
- Duration - 6 hours
- Start time - 8:00 am - daily
- Pick-up and drop off at your Panama City lodging
- Well-maintained, air-conditioned car
- Bi-lingual guides (English/Spanish)
- Tour of Mono waterfall, Embera village and Lake Gatun
- Traditional Lunch (fried river fish with patacones)
- Bottled Water
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Hotel pickup and drop-off outside of Panama City (i.e. Playa Bonita, Costa del Este & Tocumen area. Please select option during checkout)
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable and adequate clothing to protect yourself from the sun and thus avoid the use of sunscreen. Creams (even biodegradable ones) are polluting and for that reason we do not promote their use
- Comfortable and safe footwear (sandals or water shoes)
- Sun glasses
- Cap or hat
- A reusable bottle to fill with water during the day
- Cash for tips and souvenirs
- There are no ATMs in the area, vendors do not accept card payments either. Cash Only!
- ATTENTION LAST MINUTE BOOKINGS: Bookings made after 6:00pm for the following day are NOT guaranteed until we respond and explicitly confirm your tour itinerary. If your booking is not confirmed by one of our booking specialists, your tour will be scheduled for the subsequent day.
Please read our Tour Cancelation Policy before booking.
TOUR CANCELATION POLICY
Tao Travel 365 strives to deliver the best possible customer experience. If at any point you have a question or concern about our service, please call us by phone at +1 (805) 826-3657 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following cancellation policy applies only for Day Tours (DOES NOT apply for Multi-Day Tours).
Due to the nature of our business, the logistics involved with organizing tours and the high reservation demand following refund policies apply:
- 100% refund less credit card processing fees will only be granted if booked via our website www.taotravel365.tours AND if canceled more than 7 days before the start of the tour.
- 50% refund less credit card processing fees will be granted for cancellations received less than 7 days AND more than 48 hours before the tour start date.
- No refund will be granted for cancelations received less than 48 hours before the tour start date.
All sales are ﬁnal.
For all bookings made via outside portals such as, but not limited to Viator, Expedia, Airbnb, please refer and adhere to the respective cancellation policy of the portal that you booked with.
If you are unable to realize the reservation, contact us as soon as possible and we will try to arrange and reschedule the same or different tour for you.
If you are not at the designated meeting point by the time of your scheduled reservation or pick up, Tao Travel 365 reserves the right not to provide a refund. However, we will always try our best to locate you at the meeting point and call your WhatsApp number, if one was provided. After all, we want you to participate in our tour and have fun. That is our goal!
CANCELED OR POSTPONED TOURS
Occasionally, tours are canceled or postponed due to weather or ocean conditions, mechanical failure, or other unforeseen events. Should this occur, we will attempt to contact you about the cancellations and to inform you of refund or exchange procedures for that tour. For exact instructions on any canceled or postponed tour, please contact us. In the case of a cancellation of your tour by Tao Travel 365, we will refund your tour or schedule you for another tour, as detailed below.
All sales are final. No refunds are available unless a tour is canceled or postponed, or we are given 48 hours advance noticed whereby a 50 percent refund will be awarded. We will offer refunds of the full face value of the tour(s) that are canceled or postponed (or, if a discounted tour, then instead the discounted tour price paid). No refunds are offered on any service, payment processing or convenience fees. To receive a refund for a canceled or postponed tour, contact us at email@example.com within 3 days of the tour cancellation and write "refund" in the subject line. Instructions will be provided in order to obtain your refund.
No tour exchanges are offered by Tao Travel 365. While in some extreme cases we may offer this service (such as a cancellation by Tao Travel 365), it is not guaranteed and often impossible. Contact us directly by phone at +1 (805) 826-3657 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about tour exchanges. Fees may apply.